Jumping to the Point! What Can We Do For Paola?

Jumping to the Point! What Can We Do For Paola?


Since I'm so slow about making these blog posts, I guess I'll skip straight to the important stuff - ideas on how our group can help Paola and her family:
I asked, of course, what they needed most, but didn't really get an answer. So, here are my thoughts ....


STARTING POINT:

I would first recommend that we do a simple $125 fundraiser and designate that the money be spent on (at least) 2 sets of drawers. Right now, the family's clothes, etc. are piled in heaps along the walls. Once cleared of clutter, these spaces could be occupied by dressers or other better forms of storage.


Also, I believe that Paola's 6-year-old sis, Tomasa, is still in need of a sponsor. Marcela thought so, but wasn't entirely sure. She said she'd let me know (but not HOW she would let me know!), but no word yet. I looked, and did not see Tomasa 'advertised' on CI's site - but that does not necessarily mean she's been sponsored. A call could be made to CI to find out for sure.


I'd hate to see Tomasa not getting the same medical care, schooling, and other advantages that her sister enjoys. We should be on the look-out for a sponsor; ideally one not already in our group so we can get some new blood (and by that I mean "money") onboard.

Tomasa, age 6

THE HOUSE:

By local standards, I'd say Paola's house is quite adequate. It's made of bricks, dry, and sturdier than most I've seen when traveling. Maybe something could be done about the flies buzzing around? My only worry would be the health risk to the children if any sort of pesticides were used. Also, the interior is dark. A project to install light fixtures is a possibility (which would attract more bugs!), or the same effect might be accomplished by adding a plug-in lamp to the dresser request.

One issue with the house (as explained by an uncle, or someone like that) is how their courtyard area floods whenever it rains. I asked Marcela, "What can be done about this?" and she replied, "Oh, nothing can be done." I don't think that's true ... ditches, drains, sandbags, SOMETHING ought to fix the problem! We could ask for a field worker to do an assessment; I think things like home repairs just aren't Marcela's area of expertise.

Installing indoor plumbing is a possible - but expensive - project.

AN IGP:

I don't think we would get anywhere with this idea. I learned that Rosa's job is making bricks with the other adult members of the family 6 days a week. Since they all live together as a community, I imagine her reported income is simply a "guesstimate" of her family's share of the profits.

I asked if there was a way to help the family's brick-making trade be more profitable, but Marcela said, "Not really." Making bricks is making bricks, and there isn't any equipment to help things along.

Even if we could think of a career path that would generate more money for Rosa, I doubt that she would be interested. Her family would be reluctant to lose her, I'm thinking, and she probably wouldn't want to leave them short-handed of brick makers. Also, since the brick business is located just across the dirt road from their house, Rosa does not need to worry about childcare. I suppose the kids just play in the brick dust all day (until they reach school age?)


Bricks drying in the sun





The brick firing ovens down the road. Paola's family makes the bricks in molds, the neighbors do the firing.





1 comments:

Mack August 1, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

I forgot to mention - another possible home improvement might be cement or some other form of flooring to cover up the dirt.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive