July 09 Visit, Part 7 - Logistics of Our Visit

July 09 Visit, Part 7 - Logistics of Our Visit

When visualizing this visit, I made a lot of assumptions based on my trip to Honduras in February. One of these was that CI Mexico would have a van similar to the one used by the office in San Pedro Sula. On Monday morning, it suddenly occurred to me that these subconscious assumptions of mine could be wrong! Quickly, I called Marcela (my contact) to make sure she would be picking us up in a vehicle large enough to carry all of our gifts for Paola's family. Marcela assured me that they would be arriving in a truck, but not until 9:30, because it was a 45 minute drive to our hotel from their main office.

This news destroyed another of my assumptions: the one where I'd figured that I could do more shopping on Tuesday, then drop the goods at Marcela's office for delivery to Paola at a future date. I was able to do this in San Pedro Sula, because the main office was conveniently located 10 minutes from where we were staying.

Marcela and crew arrived promptly at 9:30 to pick us up. She introduced us to Fernando, the driver, and Elsa, a second translator. Just to give you an idea of what the day was like for these poor CI reps, here is a break down of our travels over the course of the day:

1. Marcela, Elsa, and Fernando pick us up (from our hotel near the zoo) - 45 minutes
2. We drive to Paola's community center - 30 minutes
3. We drive to Paola's house - 10 minutes
4. We drive back to the community center - 10 minutes
5. We drive to the zoo - 40 minutes
6. We drive back to Paola's house - 45 minutes or so
7. We drive back to our hotel (near the zoo, remember?) - 35 minutes
8. The CI staff drive back to the main office - 45 minutes

The gas we used probably could've sponsored another kid for 3 months!

Mack's Regret #1:

On my first child visit, I made the mistake of basically ignoring the CI staff and focusing entirely on the kids. This time, I spent more time talking to them and asking questions about their jobs (we spent a lot of time in the car together, after all). What I wish is that I had asked them all to pose together for a photo that I could show you. I meant to stage a group picture on several occasions, but the CI reps always stepped back automatically so it would just be me, Mike, and Paola's family. I never insisted that they join us in the photo.

Emblem on the Truck Door


Waiting in the Hotel Lobby with the Gifts

3 comments:

Heather M July 19, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

I see a person!!! YAY!! Too bad it's Mack... I already know what you look like! I can't believe you traveled around with all of that stuff! How did you manage! We need to get some money together to pay for the gas, at least. If I am correct, you are responsible for paying for the travel through the country.

Mack July 19, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

Yes, the brochure "warns" that sponsors are responsible for travel costs, but we have yet to be billed for any of that stuff from our Honduras trip.

Heather M July 19, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Let us know when you get the bill.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive