July Visit, Part 13 - Delivering the Gifts

July Visit, Part 13 - Delivering the Gifts

After meeting Paola's family and touring the home, I needed to change the batteries in my camera. I told Mike it would probably be a good time to unload the gifts from the truck while I was busy, so he summoned the staff and they started carrying bags of stuff up to the house. Soon, Marcela found me inside the truck rummaging through my pack for fresh batteries and urged me to come with her. She said that the family wanted me to give a speech along with the presentation of the gifts. Yikes!

Put on the spot, I stood there before the assembly and babbled in horrific, broken Spanish, trying my best to give credit to our entire sponsor group for the purchase of the items, and to stress the idea that if there was anything else the family needed, I was ready to take requests. I don't know if anyone understood a word of my speech (next time I will have one prepared, just in case. No, I will take Heather along with me!), but they all applauded politely at the end ... and then they all looked to Mike. My husband performed eloquently, having the good sense to express his feelings in English and allow the CI staff to translate afterward!

The family seemed grateful and delighted over the gifts. The kids were eager to help carry everything into the house, and they came back out munching on the onion ring chips I'd bought for them.




I love Paola's gigantic smile in this photo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment