July 09 Visit, Part 10 - Paola's Home


July 09 Visit, Part 10 - Paola's Home

Paola apparently lives in Casa Numero Ocho, which acts as somewhat of a commune. The small block of connected abodes is occupied by various members of Paola's extended family. The allotment of space for Rosa and her children seems to be an entry way, which also serves as the kitchen, and a single bedroom. I wasn't shown any of the rest of the house(s).

I imagine that all four of them sleep on the one bed, which is workable for right now while the girls are very small. I wonder what will happen when they start to outgrow the single bed? (which, from what I could tell, was a box spring and mattress held up by overturned buckets. The bedding seemed as clean as it could be in a room with a dirt-covered floor. I couldn't tell the size of the bed for purchasing sheets, but perhaps someone else can eyeball it?)

The sink-like thing in the bottom picture seems to be where the family washes. It didn't have any sort of spigot, so I think they fill it manually by drawing water from their well.

I keep saying "seems like" and "I think" because I didn't ask an abundance of questions. First, because the few questions I DID ask weren't really answered, and secondly, because nobody was expecting the Spanish Inquisition. I asked Marcela to explain to the family that I didn't mean to be rude by poking around and taking pictures of everything - I just wanted to show Paola's other sponsors what improvements were needed for the home.

Mack's Regret #2: I wish I'd used my GPS to mark the latitude and longitude of Paola's house so that we could look at it on GoogleEarth. But if anyone from CI noticed me doing that, they would probably freak out, thinking I planned to return and see her without a chaperone.
















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive